The recipient of the award will receive:
- A R40,000 (South African Rand) grant towards the development of an existing or making of a new body of work
- Mentoring support from an appointed mentor/curator (appointed in consultation with the photographer)
- Critique sessions with appointed subject and practice experts
- Ongoing support and mentorship from Photo:
- Online publication of the completed work on the democraSEE.photography website
criteria for application/nomination
The calls for the award will be published on the democraSEE.photography website. The number of calls/awards will be ad hoc, up to three annual awards.
how to apply
read more about the application process
the selection panel
The Selection Panel is appointed by Photo: and will be announced for every award. It consists of a group of leading regional and international experts – curators, photographers, gallerists, journalists, critics, social scientists – who will consider applications.
mentor/curator, critique sessions, writer
Photo: will, in consultation with the successful candidate, appoint a mentor/curator who will support the photographer through the duration of their project. Photo: will pay a modest honorarium to such mentor/curator. It is up to the photographer to determine the kind of relationship with the mentor/curator. Further, Photo: will continue to work with the photographer as an ongoing support.
the completed body of work
The completed body of work and the writer’s text will be published on the democraSEE.photography website in full, in consultation with the photographer. Photo: will further include information about the process of the development of the work.
rules of the award/mentorship